What is Suryashakti Kisan Yojana (SKY) and How to get benefit from it

The Government of Gujarat State has announced to run Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana (SKY) in its state to tackle the power problem. Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana is a scheme related to farmers and electricity. The goal of this scheme is to encourage farmers to install solar panels and eliminate the problem of power shortage in this state.

According to this Suryashakti Kisan Yojana (SKY) by Government of Gujarat, PV (Photo voltaic system ) of capacity (in kW) of 1.25 times the pump capacity in HP is allowed to be installed for connection on feeders where normally 70% of the farmers connected on the feeder agree to participate in the Scheme.

The scheme allows the DISCOM to remotely connect or disconnect pumps on a particular feeder to regulate eight hour power supply to non-participating agriculture consumers.

Discom purchases the surplus power generated at a rate of Rs. 3.50 per unit and an equal amount of Evacuation Based Incentive is provided to the farmer for seven years to be adjusted against the annual installment for loan portion.

Commercial settlement is done based on net of electricity drawn and injected, which is recorded through three meters (Solar generation, pump consumption and import/export from grid) arrangement to get correct reading even in case any of the three meters is faulty.

Watch Dog Devise/ Watch dog Transformers are installed to restrict and control the 3-ph power supply hours for non-participating farmers on the feeder.

SKY scheme has introduced Software based remote metering of all consumers and prosumers to avoid metering error and metering/billing loss due to manual intervention. Remote monitoring of three meters of Agriculture consumers and other consumers on the feeders is being through Solar Energy Data Management System (SEDM).

Distribution loss more than 5% on the feeder is distributed among the solar prosumers on pro-rata of sum of their injected and drawn energy on the feeder. This mechanism enable control over possible irregularities on the feeder.

Objective of Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana

Under the Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana, the government will provide financial assistance to farmers of Gujarat state to install solar panels, so that farmers can be motivated to install solar panels in their fields.

The objective of starting this scheme is to meet the power shortage of this state and increase the income of farmers.

The government hopes that with the implementation of Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana, about 175 MW of electricity will be generated by farmers in this state every year, and this will help the government in reducing the power problem of this state.

Benefits of Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana

After installing the solar panel, the electricity generated by them will be able to be used by the farmers for themselves and in this case, the farmers will be able to get free electricity without any electricity connection.

According to this scheme, the farmers will also be able to sell the electricity generated by themselves to the government, and this will also increase the income of the farmers.

The government will buy this electricity from these farmers at the rate of seven rupees per unit. However, this rate of buying electricity has been set for seven years. After seven years, the government will buy electricity from farmers for 18 years at the rate of 3.5 rupees.

According to the Gujarat government, out of the electricity generated by solar panels, only 26 percent of the electricity will be needed by the farmers and the remaining 74 percent will be able to sell the power to the government.

How to get the subsidy and the bank loan?

Under the Surya Shakti Kisan Yojana, five percent of the expenditure incurred on installing solar panels will be spent by the farmer and 60 percent will be given as subsidy by the state government, while the remaining 35 percent will be given as loan to the farmer. Applicant has to take it from the bank.

Interest Rate – The farmers will take this loan amount from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development and this loan will be given to the farmers at interest rates of 4.5 to 6 percent.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply